Celebrating Achievements and Successes *** Opportunities for Schools *** Networking and Sharing *** Forum Newsletter *** Forum Exhibition *** Museum Development Officer
Celebrating Achievements and Successes>
The Forum holds biannual heritage awards that alternate with the regional awards. For more information click on:
Exciting Free Heritage Opportunities for Schools
The Forum has published a booklet for schools that describes the activities and learning experiences that Heritage Groups in North West Leicestershire can offer to support schools in the delivery of the national curriculum.
Many activities are more than just history, they include English, mathematics, geography and other subjects.
The intention is to provide an extended online version covering the whole of the forum’s area, email Janet via email@example.com for more information.
Networking and sharing
Meeting other heritage volunteers and sharing ideas is a great way to learn in an enjoyable environment. The Forum hosts four open meetings a year. The next meeting is
– Friday, 30 November 2018 from 14:00-16:00 Leicestershire County Council Creative Learning Resources Centre followed by a short Open Meeting (open to members). As part of Leicestershire County Council Museum Service, the centre offers a wide variety of learning experiences to schools, libraries, families and other museums. Lisa Webb, Artworks and Resource Box Officer and Mary Sibson, Museum Education Officer will bring some of the resources they use and spend about 90 minutes talking to the group. This will be followed by a short Forum general meeting. Map of Leicestershire County Hall complex:
The Autumn 2017 Forum newsletter has been distributed. Contents include:
– Forum Events and Activities
– Burbage Heritage Group – Pughe’s Paddock and Burbage War Memorial Garden
– Hinckley and District Museum – Wash Days
– Cotesbach Educational Trust – Reconnecting with the land
– Wolds Historical Organisation – Discovering the Wolds
– Mountsorrel Heritage Group – Collaboration can create colour
– Pudding Bag Productions – New Films
– Diseworth Heritage Trust – Commemorative Wall Hanging
– Great Central Railway – Main Line Museum
– Ashby Museum – Philip Bent VC
– Ravenstone Hospital – Green plaque for Ann Ayre Hely
Sign up for future editions, email Janet via firstname.lastname@example.org
The Forum’s 2017 exhibition theme was Heritage Art, at the Atkins gallery in Hinckley during August. There were some wonderful exhibits from Burbage, Canal Museum, Diseworth, Hinckley, Old Rectory, Swannington and others.
Museum Development Officer
MDOs are a conduit for advice and support for museums, about all issues concerning heritage management. This covers everything from collections based issues, to queries around business management. Leicestershire County has access to this service one day a week in the form of MDO Sarah Hartshorne. For the remainder of the week Sarah is Programme Officer for Museum Development East Midlands.
As such Sarah can provide access to training and grants through Museum Development East Midlands, as well as more tailored and one-to-one support exclusively to museums in Leicestershire. Telephone 07730 583 319 Email email@example.com