Celebrating Achievements and Successes
The Forum holds biannual heritage awards that alternate with the regional awards. For more information click on:
Networking and sharing
Meeting other heritage volunteers and sharing ideas is a great way to learn in an enjoyable environment. The Forum hosts four members’ meetings a year. The next meeting is
Lightening Preservation Group (LPG) – 6.30pm Thursday 27th June
Join us for this fascinating evening site visit. English Electric Lightning Fighters defended UK air space during the Cold War for almost 30 years. LPG has preserved three Lightnings, two in fully functional condition, the third as a static exhibit. The two working examples are frequently fast taxied at Bruntingthorpe Airfield, near Leicester. Additionally the LPG has completed the rebuild of a Quick Reaction Alert (QRA) hangar, custom built during the Cold War where two Lightnings were kept at constant readiness. More details of their activities are on the LPG website.
Members are asked to book places via Eventbrite in advance.
Providing support for over thirty years, the Leicestershire & Rutland Heritage Forum is the only region-wide organisation which promotes and celebrates the unique heritage of Leicestershire, Leicester City and Rutland. Our work raises standards across the region and helps develop long-standing relationships between our members.
Through joining our Forum you will get exclusive access to:
- Information sharing and networking opportunities with museum and heritage organisations across the region;
- An engaging programme of relevant, practical training;
- Expert support and advice on volunteering opportunities and challenges;
- Site visits to other heritage sites within the region;
- Promotional marketing, with our members details featured on the Forum website and promoted across our social media channels;
- Access to Forum members only categories in the Biennial County Heritage Awards which celebrate excellence in the region;
- Access to a newsletter, filled with regional updates;
- Access to funding and fundraising advice and opportunities (location dependent);
- A range of committee and non-committee roles to get more involved in the work of the Forum;
- Opportunities to work on collaborative projects with other organisations.
We welcome membership from anyone in the region with an interest in this local heritage, offering both institutional and individual memberships. View our Forum leaflet online Forum leaflet
Membership costs £30 for an organisation and £20 for individuals per year. membership form
Members wishing to update their page on the website should email details to email@example.com
- Forum Events and Activities
- The Sandford Award for Heritage Education
- Revised museum accreditation timetable
- Burbage Heritage Group – WWI project
- Pudding Bag Productions – new film
- Cotesbach Educational Trust – Talk Tuesdays
- Leicestershire Victorian County History Trust – Loughborough volume
- Loughborough Carillon Tower and War Memorial Museum – World War One
Sign up for future editions, email Janet via firstname.lastname@example.org
Exciting Free Heritage Opportunities for Schools
The Forum has published a booklet for schools that describes the activities and learning experiences that Heritage Groups in North West Leicestershire can offer to support schools in the delivery of the national curriculum.
Many activities are more than just history, they include English, mathematics, geography and other subjects.
The intention is to provide an extended online version covering the whole of the forum’s area, email Janet via email@example.com for more information.